Hey fellow foodies,
The baked Aubergine Saganaki recipe is a dish that you can eat all year round hot or cold. Aubergines (Eggplant) are usually in season from June to September, but you can definitely find organic aubergines this time of year.
The original baked Aubergine Saganaki recipe calls for feta cheese but I wanted to tweak it with a different type of cheese and of course what would be my next obvious choice mozzarella. I was going for a gooey pull-and-twirly type of cheese for this recipe. Mozzarella cheese was my second choice for this recipe, but my first choice was Provolone but the supermarket was out. I air-fried the aubergines, rather than deep frying them in oil, and they turned out great!
Bake the aubergines until the cheese melts and the sauce has thickened just enough to also be able to dip into it. The only herb I added was dry Oregano, I love the slightly minty taste of this herb and I added a red onion this time for its spicy taste. Did you know that Aubergines (eggplants) are also known as Garden Eggs? funny!
So, I have a bit of news, I am working on a few different new projects and hoping to start next year, in January. I wanted to share that I am starting my own podcast. 🙂 It is all set up and I will start recording next month. I will post the link once I am ready and I do hope that you join me on this new adventure. Talking about Greek food and more. 🙂
A shout out to Anthea from the #thesaltybiscottishop for her beautiful waterproof backdrops. If you are searching for backdrops pop over to Anthea’s site #thesaltybiscottishop.
Wishing everyone a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening and a great weekend.
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tomatoes grated
- 1 aubergine (eggplant) sliced
- ½ cup tomato sauce can or jar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tbsp Oregano
- 1 small package of mozzarella cheese
- salt pinch
- Preheat oven at 180c or 375F. Wash the aubergines and chop off both sides. Cut into thick slices and drizzle olive oil on both sides of the sliced aubergines. Sprinkle salt on both sides before placing the slices into the air fryer. Air fry for 15 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
- Heat the skillet and add the olive oil chopped red onion and minced garlic. Stir onion and garlic until golden brown.
- Add the tomato sauce. Stir for a few minutes.
- Layer aubergines in the skillet.
- Scatter the mozzarella cheese throughout the skillet. Garnish with the oregano and then pop it into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
KALI MAS OREXI!!