It’s that time of the year when I take out my Instant Pot and start my soup creations. Drum roll please, the first soup for this Fall season is Instant Pot Chickpea Soup. This Instant Pot Chickpea soup can also be made on the stovetop. Usually, I cook on the stovetop but because I was in a rush I took out my Instant Pot and it was done in a matter of 35 minutes.
What you will need to do for the Instant Pot recipe is to soak the chickpeas overnight in water. Normally, baking soda is added to the chickpeas because it helps the chickpeas boil quickly. I used to add baking soda but I have stopped doing this for years. Instead of 8 hrs overnight in water, I leave it for 10 hrs. Again, it all depends on the quality of the chickpeas, I remember that last year I bought White beans and I couldn’t boil them for the life of me. The quality, of the crops, was not as good as the year before so I decided to shop elsewhere.
Traditionally in some regions of Greece, the Greek Islands and the mainland cook this Chickpea Soup in clay pots, which I love to use. Speaking of clay pots, again I absolutely love I have four, two baking large pans, and two pots. But when time is of the essence, I pull out my Instant Pot. If you don’t own an Instant Pot no worries, cook on the stovetop. Legume Soups are usually the top pick for the autumn and winter seasons in Greece, a bowl of comfort food that just gives your tummy a sense of happiness. Choose from many of the soups I will post and enjoy Greek cooking.
I wish everyone a wonderful weekend.
Instant Pot Chickpea Soup
- 1 Pressure cooker Instant Pot
- 1 ladle
- 2 cups dry chickpeas soaked in water overnight
- 1 carrot large
- 1,5 ltr vegetable broth or water
- 1 onion large and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight. The following morning rinse and drain the excess water. Boil Chickpeas in a pot with water for 30 minutes on the stovetop once foam appears use a spoon to remove it.
- Place all the ingredients into the Instant Pot. Press on HIGH for 35 min. Open the lid by using the quick-release method.
- Use a ladle to remove two spoons of the chickpea soup and the carrot. Place them in the food processor. Press the HIGH speed button. Add this mixture to the instant pot and stir.
- Serve hot with feta cheese, olives, and fresh bread.