Hey there foodie friends,
Greeks love pies, that being Cheese pie, Spinach pie, Ham and Cheese pie, and Leek pie. With so many variations of shapes and sizes of pies, I’ve lost count. This pie is a Greek Spiral Cheese Pie recipe made with feta cheese with the exception of two ingredients. I wanted to make this Greek Cheese pie as close as I could to the traditional recipe. This cheese pie has just a few ingredients and no added bechamel sauce or extra cheese but I did add dill and nutmeg.
This Greek Spiral Cheese Pie recipe is my mother in laws mom’s recipe, she would always add nutmeg when she would make cheese pie. Because nutmeg is a delicious yet very strong spice, I don’t often use it in my recipes. But there are times when you want something different and this definitely called for nutmeg.
Back in the day in Greek villages, Greek pies of this kind would feed the whole family. Whatever ingredients they had on hand they would add to the filling. My mom is from Tripoli Peloponissos, the Spanakopita recipe that my mom handed down to me has rice as one of the ingredients. As you can see depending on which region in Greece you come from the pies are prepared differently.
The dough was always homemade, ready-made phyllo dough did not exist. The Crunchy dough on the outside and the filling were so thick that one piece was more than enough to fill you up for lunch. But since the pies and pieces were quite large there were always leftovers for dinner. Let’s just say that one Greek pie would feed the whole family. You may be wondering how in the world would I wrap this in a circular shape. Don’t let the shape scare you, it’s actually very easy to make. Just follow the instructions in the recipe card below.
This Greek Sprial Cheese Pie is delicious hot or cold….just give it a try! 🙂 For this recipe, you will need an area to be able to work. I work on a large wooden dough board that I bought while n Italy last year. It helps me when I am working with dough and phyllo sheets. It has a slanted edge on the top side so it’s easier to roll out the dough when it’s homemade. :). If you come across one don’t hesitate just buy it and believe me you will use it!!
Wishing everyone a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening and a great weekend.
Greek Spiral Cheese Pie
- 2 ½ cups feta cheese crumbled
- 2 eggs large
- 1 phyllo pastry package
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ tsp nutmeg
- salt optional
- ⅓ cup dill fresh finely chopped optional
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Grease a round oven pan with olive oil. Take one Phyllo sheet and lay it on a clean dough board, or counter. Spread about 2 cm of the filling onto the phyllo and slowly start to
- Spread about 2 cm of the filling onto the phyllo from one end to the other but leave a bit of space at both ends. Start slowly and tightly rolling from one end to the other until it forms a tube.
- Then either you can curl up the tube and start from the middle of the pan and work your way outwards or you can start by placing the first tube onto the wall of the pan. Continue the process until you have filled the pan with the sheets. Brush the phyllo with olive oil and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
KALI MAS OREXI!!