One dish that was always on our table at least once a week was this Rice Pilaf with Yogurt dish. Rice Pilaf and Yogurt is basically just two components combined together for a quick meal. We always had rice in our pantry and Greek yogurt was definitely in our fridge in our home back then. This is not a dish that I would usually make but this is one of my husband’s favorites.(not sure why)
As much as I do enjoy rice and yogurt this Rice Pilaf with Yogurt recipe is just too plain for me. So, I tweaked it!! I added grated carrots and fresh spring onions. For me, this was much better just perfect. I used plain Greek yogurt because I added the other two components, but I do see that others like to add vanilla yogurt to the rice. If you’re like my husband and you like to eat plain rice then vanilla yogurt will definitely work. Here’s another great idea for your children on a hot Summer day. A healthy and refreshing bowl of rice with yogurt.
This rice pilaf and yogurt recipe can also be found in other cultures’ cuisines which is a somewhat similar recipe to this one. I know from some of my friends are from India also make a similar dish but the difference is the added spices. In Greece, we usually eat this rice dish during the summer because we like to make lighter dishes. But if you love eating spicy food in the summer just add the spices you love. I’m not really a spicy food eater, I mainly use spices when Im cooking during the winter.
Note: What I prefer to do is boil the rice during the evening when the temperature drops.
Ok, so this is about it for this post, short and sweet. I want to wish everyone a wonderful week and a great morning/afternoon/evening.
I do hope you give this recipe a try it really is good. 🙂
Rice Piaf and Yogurt recipe
- 1½ cups long grain rice boiled
- 2 fresh onions sliced
- 1 carrot large grated
- 2 cups Greek yogurt plain
- salt optional
- pepper optional
- 1 cube of Vegetable stock
- Bring 1 liter of water to a boil on medium to high heat. Add in the vegetable stock and the two cups of rice. Cook until rice is ready. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, slice the onions, and grate the carrot.
- Once the rice has cooled add in the remaining ingredients and give it a good stir.
- Continue to add the Greek yogurt into each bowl and stir until all the ingredients have been combined. Serve cold.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂