Monday was the first day of Lent in the Greek Religion and it was a day of celebration. Greek people celebrated by eating meatless food and the famous Greek flatbread Lagana. This Green Bean and Spicy Sausage dish is not for fasting unless, of course, you take out the sausage. Either way, it still tastes good! The recipe originates from the Peloponnesian region of Greece. A beautiful mountain region where you can find quaint and cozy little taverns that serve you literally the best food from appetizers, salads, dips, and main dishes which will also have you licking your fingers. Here’s just an example, grilled bread drizzled with greek olive oil, and fresh oregano. When I say grilled I’m not talking about the grills we have in the US BBQ etc but old-school very old-school grills that you can only find in villages.
This time of year you won’t really find any fresh Green Beans unless you’ve grown some yourself. I used frozen green beans for this recipe and it really did come out very tasty. I added the sausages in the Air Fryer for just under 8 minutes and they were done. If you prefer to add fried sausages rather than Air Fry you can do so but it will definitely be a hearty bowl of food. I chose to add only dill this time but you can also add parsley to this recipe.
Ten minutes before the green beans are done I added the sausages into the pot and they did their magic. The spicy sausages gave the green beans a slightly smokey taste and smell. As for me, there were no sausages in my dish but it didn’t matter one bit it still tasted amazing. For this Green Bean Spicy Sausage recipe, you can use any sausages you prefer. I used the spicy ones because my husband wanted them to be slightly spicy. It’s up to your tastebuds, and the mood you’re in well you know what I mean.
That’s about it foodies friends, we are expecting a snowstorm in the next few days here in Europe.
Keep Warm, Keep Safe!!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Green Bean and Spicy Sausage Recipe
- 1 kilo/lb green beans fresh or frozen
- 2 red onions chopped, medium size
- 3 spicy sausages sliced
- 2 carrots chopped
- dill wash, drain, and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup olive oil + 2 extra tbsp
- pepper and salt
- 6 cups water add more if needed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Air fryer sausages for 8 minutes on high and set aside when ready.
- In a large pot add two tablespoons of olive oil chopped onions and carrots. Give it a quick stir on medium heat.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients along with the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and ½ cup of olive oil. Submerge green beans with water.
- Add in the sausages about 10 minutes before the green bean stew is ready. The stew is ready once the sauce has thickened.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂