Hello foodie friends,
I’ve been back baking again this week and wanted to share this Greek Yogurt Lemon Cake Recipe. This Greek Yogurt Lemon Cake recipe is a great snack or dessert and has a delicious taste, made easy with a few simple ingredients. Most Yogurt cake recipes have olive oil as one of the ingredients rather than butter. They say that olive oil makes the cake lighter, I’m not really sure about that because I use Greek olive oil, and the cakes I make with olive oil turn out heavier. Granted, it is a much healthier version than using butter when making cakes. But it all depends on the olive oil you prefer to use when cooking.
I used Greek yogurt with 5% fat for this cake, now you can use whichever yogurt you prefer, Greek or Greek-style nonfat yogurt. I’ve tried the Greek-style yogurt I’m not really crazy about the taste, it’s way too watery for me. To give this Yogurt Lemon Cake a bit of a tangy taste I also added lemon zest to this cake.
The original Yogurt cake or Gâteau au yaourt, comes from France. When I first came across this recipe I was surprised that a yogurt container was being used for measuring. I thought that was brilliant because if we go way back in the day most of the small gadgets/utensils that we have in our kitchens today didn’t exist. I thought about using a small yogurt container but unfortunately, I remembered that the Greek yogurt I bought this time around was in a larger one-kilo container. You can dust the cake with powdered sugar if you wish and the next time I make this cake I will surely use a small yogurt container.
Have a great morning/afternoon/evening
Till next time 🙂
Greek Yogurt Lemon Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs medium size
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt 5% fat (optional)
- 1 cup margarine room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 whole lemon grated zest
- powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 180c. In a large mixing bowl add margarine and sugar and beat until fluffy at high speed
- Fold into the batter the Greek yogurt,
- the eggs
- and the shifted self-rising flour.
- Beat on high speed for a few minutes, then add in the lemon zest. Give it a good quick stir.
- Place a piece of parchment paper into a tin cake loaf pan. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and use a spatula to even out.
- Bake for 50 min or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve all day.