Hey there foodie friends,
Ok, so here’s a new version of how to eat Spanakopita. If you don’t know what Spanakopita is it’s Spinach with Feta cheese and a whole bunch of fresh delicious herbs. Spanakopita is traditionally made with Greek phyllo dough sheets or phyllo dough either with homemade dough or store-bought. This Greek Spanakopita Toastie is definitely a great twist to the traditional Spanakopita pie.
I’ve seen a few recipes that are pretty similar to this one but have added Mozzarella cheese and so it becomes more of a grilled cheese version rather than a spanakopita toastie. I prepared the spinach filling as I always do when making a traditional spanakopita. I added on top as you will see in the picture below a slightly salty Greek cheese Kefalotyri. Kefalotyri is a salty Greek cheese with a white and yellowish color. You can leave it as is with the feta cheese if you wish and not add any other cheese on top. The reason why I added extra cheese was that the feta cheese that I used was low-fat feta cheese.
If the feta cheese you will use in this recipe is salty or peppery, you don’t need to add the extra cheese. Cheeses that I would recommend if you are unable to find Greek Kefalotyri is Pecorino and Parmesan cheese. Both of these Italian cheeses will definitely make your Spanakopita Toastie a delicious snack for lunch or even dinner. For this Greek Spanakopita Toastie recipe, I used whole-wheat bread instead of plain white bread, for a healthier toasted sandwich. This is what makes this toastie even tastier toast the slightly buttered bread in a skillet, add the filling, and then pop it in the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes.
Have a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening everyone!!
Have a great weekend everyone!!!
Greek Spanakopita Toastie
- 1 Leek
- 1 red onion medium
- 1 ⅓ cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp dill
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ¼ tbsp dried mint
- ½ cup low-fat feta cheese
- ¼ cup Kefalotyri (Parmesan or Pecorino cheese)
- 4 pieces whole wheat bread optional
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup Kefalotyri grated optional
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c. Add into the food processor the leek, dill, parsley, spinach, mint, and ss high speed to chop.
- Add fresh spinach to the mix and press the button at high speed.
- In a large skillet add the mix with a tablespoon of olive oil and oregano and stir until withered. Season with salt and pepper
- Spread butter on both sides of the pieces of bread and place into a skillet. Divide the mixture and add the Spanakopita filling.
- Top off the filling with the grated Kefalotyri. Cover the Toastie with the other piece of bread. Cook on medium heat until the bread turns golden brown.
- Place into the oven for 5 to 8 minutes until the cheeses have melted. Serve hot.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂