Greek Leek Pie with Cheese is another favorite pie recipe made with Feta cheese and Anthotyro. Anthotyro in English is called a Flowery cheese and is full of texture and has a slightly sweet taste to it. Leek pie is a nice variation of the traditional Greek Spanakopita that is a staple in Greek cooking. Leek in Greek is called Praso or in plural Prasa which of course is the main ingredient. I prefer to keep this pie as traditional as possible because once you start adding in, for example, chicken, meat, etc it then is not called a Leek Pie.
Seriously, is there anything better than a homemade pie? or better yet do you know of anyone who doesn’t like to eat homemade pie? I don’t think so, the aroma that lingers throughout the whole house. I combined two types of cheeses to make this Leek pie to give it a savory taste. The feta cheese that I usually buy has a bit of both salty and peppery taste to it. This way I avoid adding extra salt to my pies that have cheese Now, if you’re Vegan you can leave out the cheese and substitute Vegan Feta Cheese rather regular cheese. Or you don’t actually have to add cheese to this pie just leave it as is.
I used a store-bought brand for the phyllo because it’s just quicker. There are various phyllo sheets that you can use for this and any pita that you plan on making. I bought a package of phyllo sheets that are a bit thicker than the classic thin sheets. Making homemade phyllo dough is definitely better but it’s quite difficult during the week and when you have a busy schedule. Greek Leek Pie with Cheese is…..delicious
Happy Thursday to everyone!
Greek Leek Pie and Cheese Recipe
- 8 Leeks washed and chopped
- 4 Fresh onions chopped
- 1 Onion large chopped
- 2 Eggs medium size
- 200 grams Feta cheese
- 150 grans Anthotyro ricotta alternative
- 80 grams Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200c. Chop the Leek, fresh onions, and onions and add them into a saucepan with 40 grams of olive oil. Sautee until soft. In the meantime finely chop the herbs.
- In a separate bowl add the feta cheese and anthotyro or ricotta cheese. Toss in the finely chopped herbs and give it a good stir.
- Once the cheese and herb mix is ready add it to the bowl with the cheese. Combine well.
- Brush the baking pan with olive oil before layering the first phyllo sheet. Continue to brush with olive oil on all three phyllo sheets. Place the mixture and spread. Continue to layer sheet by sheet and brush with olive oil.
- When you are done with this process pop it in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold.