Do you know what Greek Butter Beans are? Greek Butter Beans are large Lima beans which in Greek are called Gigantes. Greek Butter Beans- Gigantes are a traditional Greek dish cooked in tomato sauce and with fresh ingredients. This is a recipe that can be eaten all year round and served either as a side dish or mezze. I love this dish and eat it as a main course in smaller portions.
So basically, what you need to remember is to leave the beans in water overnight, eight or nine hours should do it. The cooking part is easy peasy the following day, actually, if you think about it, it’s an all-in-one pot recipe. Chop, dice, and prepare everything beforehand so that all you will have to do is add the ingredients to your pan add olive oil pop it into the oven and you are set to go. This Greek Butter Bean dish is simple, yummy, and full of so many flavors, Mediterranean flavors to be exact.
Has anyone noticed that I cook some of my recipes in ceramic cookware? The reason is that first of all much easier to clean whereas the stainless steel pans are not. I prefer ceramic pots because the food is cooked quicker and evenly, this is true. There is one more reason why I absolutely love cooking with ceramic cookware the food smells and tastes like it has been cooked on a wooden fire.
In the Western Macedonia part of Greece called Prespes a beautiful area surrounded by nature with the best quality of Legumes. If you have the opportunity to visit that part of Greece then go to Prespes.
I finally started my youtube @foodzesty56 channel and have uploaded one video: https://youtu.be/UyAZk5DU89k. 🙂
Wishing everyone a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening
Green Butter Beans (Gigantes)
- 2 cups greek butter beans. (Gigantes) set in water overnight
- 1 red onion large, diced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves whole
- 1 carrot chopped into small pieces
- 4 tbsp dill fresh
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tomatoes grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 180c. Place beans in water and leave overnight. Rinse and drain the following morning. Add beans into a pot with water and boil for 40 minutes.
- Once the beans are ready rinse and drain excess water.
- Place onion, garlic, carrot, and half of the olive oil into a skillet and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add in the peppers and give it a quick stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour the Greek Butter Beans into a large baking pan and add the vegetable mix. Give it a good stir.
- Add in the grated tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, olive oil, and two cups of water. Stir and place into the oven.
- Garnish with dill and serve with feta cheese and fresh bread.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂