This is the easiest Cheese Pie that anyone can make, even someone who is just starting out in the kitchen. I had some left over phyllo in the freezer, which I completely forgot about and found it this morning. 🙂 Took me a while to figure out what to do with such limited ingredients, tomatoes, feta and phyllo, but then I remembered a recipe my mom used to make with tomatoes and Feta cheese. 🙂
There is always Feta Cheese in the refrigerator, (not original too expensive and hard to find, but there is something quite similar to Feta Cheese). and a few tomatoes on hand. This pie actually has the taste of Pizza and Greek Cheese Pie (Tyropitta) combined…quite different taste but ohhh so yummy to eat.
FETA AND TOMATO CREASED PHYLLO CHEESE PIE (PATSAVOUROPITA) 🙂
- 1 package of Phyllo Sheets
- 1 kilo Feta Cheese
- 4 Tomatoes chopped into cubes
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Semolina
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Oregano optional
- Add eggs and salt into a bowl.
- Whisk eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add in the Semolina, baking soda and mix.
- Toss in the cheese, milk, pepper, oregano continue stirring the ingredients together.
- Have the tomatoes cubed.
- In a oil brushed baking pan, take one phyllo sheet and crease it to one side of the pan, continue to do this for 6 phyllo sheets.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of Olive oil, add cheese mixture and top with tomatoes. Continue with the next 6 sheets of Phyllo by creasing each sheet one next to the other. Add cheese mix and top with tomatoes.
- Continue until you have finished with the last creashed phyllo sheets..drizzle olive oil and just a few drops of water. Use a sharp knife to make a few small holes into the pie before popping it into a pre-heated oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 1 hour or until phyllo is golden brown.