Are you looking for a savory and authentic greek spinach pie? Look no further this is a recipe my mom has been baking for years. Just to clarify one thing about this recipe I have always preferred leeks to onions and so in the recipe, leeks is a go. You can use onions if you wish.
I don’t know if you know this but Spanakopita and Spanakotyropita are traditional greek recipes that are known in many parts of the world. One of my personal favorites paired of course with Freddo Cappucino with cinnamon sprinkled on top.
I did something different this time around, instead of using the traditional baking pan, I used my cast iron skillet. I wanted an all-around crunchy taste which I knew I would get with the cast iron skillet. This Spinach and feta cheese pie will be devoured in just a matter of minutes.
Ok, here is what has been going on these past few days. I haven’t been able to take any photos to post onto the recipe card becausseeeeeeee wait for it. I shot my first video preparing this Spinach and Feta cheese recipe to upload onto my youtube channel. Yes, I took the plunge and went ahead after thinking about it for more than a year. It is time to try out the youtube world.
Pop over to my channel foodzesty and subscribe and once my video has been uploaded you will be the first to know. There were a few small mishaps, my phone stopped recording so the end result was not recorded. Oh well, this just means that I will have to bake another Spinach and Feta Cheese pie and record it again. 🙂 New challenges recording on the phone to look forward to.
Have a great week everyone!!
Spinach and Feta Cheese Pie (Spanakopita)
- 1 Cold Cast Iron skillet
- 1 kilo spinach thawed fresh or frozen
- 8 phyllo sheets
- 350 grams feta cheese
- 2 leeks washed and chopped
- 3 fresh onions chopped
- 4 tbsp dill chopped
- ½ cup olive oil + ¼ olive oil
- 3 tbsp mint dry or fresh
- start off by adding ½ cup of olive oil into a pot. Add chopped leeks and fresh onions and stir.
- add in the spinach, and cook until wilted.
- add in the dill and stir.
- In a large bowl and in the spinach mixture add in the feta cheese and the dried or fresh mint.
- start by layering the bottom part of the pan with one phyllo sheet and brush with olive oil and continue with the first four phyllo sheets.
- add in the spinach mixture, spread evenly, and fold over onto the mixture any phyllo sheet that is hanging on the edges of the pan.
- continue to layer one sheet at a time and brush with olive oil. Fold any excess phyllo overhanging into the middle of the pan. Brush with olive oil
- with a sharp knife score, the top phyllo sheets mark the square pieces that you desire without cutting threw the spinach mixture. sprinkle some water and place into a preheated oven at 180c. Cook until the crust is crunchy and golden brown.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂