Hey there foodie friends,
Okay, if you love Greek food and have traveled to Greece, you have definitely tried Greek Pastitsio. The traditional recipe calls for meat, but in this recipe, you will not find any. I added three different kinds of cheese and dill to this recipe. Yayyy dill!! If you prefer the traditional Pastitsio go to the search button on my blog and you will be able to find the recipe.
Back to this meatless Pastitsio recipe, as I mentioned earlier I added three different types of cheeses, Feta cheese (of course) Ricotta Cheese, and grated Kasseri Cheese. Now, I know that we are not always able to find all the ingredients to prepare a recipe so If you are unable to find Kasseri then you can substitute it with Provolone, or Romano cheese.
Cheeses, done so now for the bechamel sauce. The Bechamel sauce is a thick white sauce that also has a bit of cheese, egg, flour, and if you prefer a bit of nutmeg. If you don’t know what Bechamel sauce is well let me explain Bechamel is a mixture of flour and butter, and it can also be used on many more other dishes like Moussaka, Lasagna. I’m not a fan of nutmeg so I add more cheese and pepper into the sauce.
So, that’s about it for now, wishing everyone a wonderful week everyone!!
Meatless Greek Pastitsio
- 250 grams Ricotta Cheese
- 250 grams Feta Cheese
- 200 grams Kasseri Cheese substitute with grated provolone, or romano cheese
- Dill a handful of stems
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese + 3 tablespoons for Bechamel Sauce grated
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ⅔ cups All-Purpose-Flour
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 liter Milk
- 500 grams Misko Pasta Thick spaghetti with a hole. (Bucatini tubelike pasta) Boil Pasta as stated on the package
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- nutmeg optional
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the pasta, and cook as stated on the package. Drain pasta and set aside.
- On medium heat in a medium-size pot start the sauce by adding in the butter, (let it melt) Then slowly add in the flour, stir consistently. Continue by slowly adding in the milk, nutmeg, egg, salt, pepper, and the three tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Bring heat up to high and whisk to get rid of any lumps.
- Take a rectangular baking pan and layer the bottom part with one thick layer of bechamel sauce. Then add a layer of pasta and top with cheeses, continue the process until the top is layered with bechamel sauce.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs with ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Gradually garnish the bechamel sauce until it is fully covered. Bake at 180 for 40 minutes. Once it is baked set it aside to cool before cutting into the Pastitsio
KALI MAS OREXI!!! 🙂