We have been trying somewhat to keep up the Christmas Spirit, but it has been very hard these past few days. With my mom visiting we went into the kitchen and starting making Kourambiedes (Greek Almond Cookies) it would take our minds off of things and just concentrate on cooking. I love cooking and besides this being my passion it has also been a real help to me whenever I was upset or stressed out, and this is one of those times.
I am a huge fan of Vintage pieces and I remembered that my mom had this star dish that was my grandmother’s and is about 100 years old. I find it to be beautiful and this is why I took a photo of this cookie in this dish. Here is another delicious and favorite Greek cookie that is covered in sugar powder, that is always found on every Greek Christmas table.
HOMEMADE GREEK ALMOND CHRISTMAS COOKIES (KOURAMBIEDES)
- 1 cup Butter room temperature
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 600 grams All Purpose Flouer
- 2 powdered Vanilla or 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 180 grams Roasted Almonds or Walnuts chopped… we prefer Almonds
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 30 grams Cognac
- 3/4 Sugar Powder & extra for coating
- In a small pan add just a bit of butter and roast the almonds until they become crunchy and brown. Once the almonds are done set them aside.
- In a large bowl beat bowl and powdered sugar until combined.
- Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla.
- Slowly start to add in the flour and cognac and continue to beat.
- Continue by adding the almonds, or walnuts which ever you prefer and combine with hands.
- This becomes a dough mix.
- Take a small part of the dough and roll into a ball, press down with thumb in the center, and or roll out the dough to make half moon shapes
- Coat with the extra Powder Sugar it should cover the cookies as shown in the picture above.