Tarts, Pies, Pastry Puffs are popular in Greece, For example, take this Ham and Cheese Tart Recipe, otherwise known in Greek “Zambonotyropita”. There are many shops in the cities, countryside, islands, in Greece that prepare many of these delicious pies, pastry puffs, tarts, every day using fresh products. Most like to use Feta Cheese or Graviera yellow cheese whereas I like to use sharp Cheddar Cheese, and Goat Cheese. This gives the tart a sharper taste but I almost always add in milk to give balance to the tart.
I lived in Athens for more than 27 years, I have had my share of Cheese pies, Custard pies, Greek Donuts otherwise known as “Loukoumades”. I have pinpointed the ones that at least for me genuinely have the best Cheesepie. My mom took me to this bakery for the first time back in the ’70s when vacationing in Greece and I have been going back every time I have the opportunity. This bakery was established in 1910 so If you are ever in Athens, drop by the ARTISTON BAKERY in downtown Athens. And if you’re vacationing in Greece, just walk into one of the local bakeries and try their deliciously flavored homemade everything!!!
Have a great day everyone!!
Ham and Cheese Tart Recipe
- 3 cups cheddar cheese mild
- 1½ cups goat cheese
- 1½ cups ham cubed, sliced
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- poppy seeds
- 6 phyllo dough sheets
- olive oil
- poppy seeds optional
- sesame seeds optional
- In a large bowl toss in ham.
- Add in shredded cheese and beaten eggs. Stir to combine.
- Continue by adding in the milk.
- Add the mixture into a blender and add in the goat cheese. Blend at high speed for a few minutes.
- Oil brush a medium-size baking pan. Layer the bottom of the baking pan with one phyllo sheet at a time and oil brush each sheet. Add-in mixture and continue to layer with phyllo sheets. Oil brush top layer of a phyllo sheet and top with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
- Bake at 180 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
KALI MAS OREXI!!! 🙂