Hello everyone, I hope you all had a lovely weekend. I haven’t been able to cook much these past few days but I have had help in the kitchen. 🙂 Since my hubby was home for the weekend he was very helpful, he actually did the cooking and the preparation for the custard pies. 🙂 The cake I had on hand a few days ago was eaten so dessert was a topic we needed to tackle. I had already bought the ingredients before my arm starting acting up on me again so he offered to help out in preparing these delicious Custard Pie Rolls which are my favorite. 🙂
We usually drive down to Greece when going on vacation, so we pass by a city called Ioannina..or otherwise known as Yiannena in the North-Western part of Greece. This area is famous for its desserts OHHHH MYYY GOSSSHHH…many many years ago when we were still exploring Greece we found this pastry shop and just fell in love with all the greek pastries..It has been around since I think it was 1932 and still going strong. I walk in there and hit the galaktompourekakia or otherwise known as Flogeres!!! My husband is more of a Baklava fan….We sit outside, they have a sitting area with a Cappuccino Freddo (Ice coffee) for me, I can actually go for one now…(hmmm…this would be a great post!!) and an Espresso Freddo for him and just indulge. 🙂
This custard dessert with syrup is a popular dessert in most Greek homes, and Pastry Shops along with Baklava. The rolls were easy to make because basically all you have to do is to add all the ingredients in one pot and just stir over medium heat until it thickens. so for my hubby it was quite simple. 🙂 I provided all the ingredients & steps and he did all the work 🙂
FLOGERES SWEET CUSTARD FILLED ROLLS
- 1 litre of Milk
- 1 package of Phyllo Dough
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 1 cup Semolina
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup of melted Butter
- 1 Lemon Zest
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 1 Lemon Peel
- 3 cups of Water
- 2 cups of Sugar
- Cinnamon & Powder Sugar for topping optional
- Add milk and eggs in a large sauce pan.
- Add in the 1 cup of Semolina and stir.
- Continue by adding in the sugar and Vanilla extract continue stirring.
- Lemon zest and lemon juice should be added last. Stir on medium heat and until mix has thickened. Once it has thickened take off of heat and let it sit for a while.
- In the meantime start to prepare the syrup by adding the sugar, lemon peel and water. Boil on medium heat until thick and set this aside to cool off. This must be cold before pouring onto the rolls.
- There are a few ways that you can cut the phyllo to make the custard rolls. You can either cut them horizontally or vertically. I prefer to cut the phyllo sheets horizontally, it is much easier.
- Place a tablespoon or more of the mixture into two buttered phyllo sheets and roll sheets into a cylinder. I made single servings so they are quite large, you can make them much smaller.
- Butter a baking pan and place the rolled Flogeres side by side. Butter rolls, and bake at 180 degrees for 1 hr. or until golden brown and depending on your oven. When the rolls are ready pour cold syrup over hot rolls and let the syrup be absorbed. Top off with Cinnamon and Sugar powder.