Chocolate mmmmhhh a favorite sweet that most just love. I haven’t made this Chocolate Sponge cake in a while, and I decided to make it last night. I had all the ingredients and it only took about 35 minutes. Just mixed, baked and it was ready!
When the cake finally cooled off, it was time to start pouring the homemade chocolate syrup on top, I have to admit just looking at it had me drooling and I’m not even a chocolate lover…Me like white Chocolate. 🙂
Every dish or dessert I make I have to taste, this cake has me second guessing about not liking chocolate!!! 🙂 I added Cognac into the batter just to give it a bit of twist 🙂
If you haven’t had Chocolate Sponge Cake try this recipe you’ll love it!!
CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE – SOKOLATOPITA
- 1 cup water
- 250 grams Butter
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cups Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Cognac optional
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla powder extract or liquid
- Sprinkles optional
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 4 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- In a large sauce pan melt butter, sugar, cocoa, water.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking power, salt and eggs. Beat nicely and set aside.
- Before pouring syrup into the batter, set aside 1 small cup of syrup. Pour syrup very slowly and mix.
- Stir cake batter and add in the Vanilla extract.
- Pour in Cognac. Pour batter into a buttered baking pan, and bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees.
- This cake will not rise like the normal sponge cake, this is a bit flatter, buttt two pieces one on top of the other will absolutely do the trick, as you can see in the picture. 🙂
- The cup of syrup that was set aside you can use to pour onto each piece as an added addition, I added sprinkles on this piece 🙂