I was looking for a specific Chocolate Marble cake recipe in some of the cookbooks that I have on hand. I wasn’t sure if I needed two or four eggs. Then I picked up my mother-in-law’s personal cookbook with all sorts of recipes and I found her Chocolate Marble Cake Recipe. As I was going through the ingredients I saw that she had written to add orange zest. I didn’t have any oranges and instead, I added lemon zest. The mystery of whether I should add two or four eggs was solved. (It’s four)
Most of us who have been baking for a while already know the basic steps. But those who are starting out may not know. Once you get the marble effect step use two tablespoons. I scooped up a tablespoon of chocolate batter and then a tablespoon of vanilla batter and placed them side by side. Be careful when placing each scoop into the baking pan otherwise, the flavors will combine, and basically, you will only taste the most intense which is of course Chocolate. So, for those who will be trying out this recipe just keep that in mind. 🙂
This Chocolate Marble Cake recipe was hand-written, as most recipes are in my mother in laws cookbook. I have posted a photo so that you can see how ahead of her time she was…I noticed that in the ingredients section, she had written grams and cups. Now, imagine this was back in the ’60s in Greece on a Greek Island with no TV, cooking shows, etc. that exist today.
She was a great cook but she was a magnificent baker. I have posted her handwritten recipe for you to see. 🙂 Baking was definitely her first love. I wanted to share her recipe with everyone thinking that maybe you would like to try out her old fashion version of this cake. One more thing you can glaze or sugar powder coat the cake. I left it as is Simple and Old Fashion.
Wishing everyone a nice weekend.
Chocolate Marble Cake Recipe
- 3 ½ cups flour shifted
- 2 cups sugar granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs separate egg yolks from egg whites
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Start by preheating the oven to 180c. In a mixing bowl beat room-temperature butter with sugar.
- Use two separate bowls and divide the flour. Add the lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl.
- In the other bowl combine the remaining flour and cocoa powder and give it a good stir.
- Beat egg whites until they foam into a soft peak. Fold in half of the foamed egg whites and two egg yolks and ½ cup of milk and whisk and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the remaining foamed egg whites with the remaining ½ cup of milk and whisk.
- Start with one scoop of chocolate batter and then one scoop of vanilla batter. Be careful not to over-marble the batter because the flavors will mix.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges of the cake pull away from the baking pan. Set aside to cool off and serve.