Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, this is definitely true. Growing up breakfast was a big deal in our house and still is in my home. Have you ever tried roasting potatoes and then baking the eggs? Yes? No? Well, if not then this recipe is a treat for you, your family, and your friends. The combination of ingredients is definitely a tasty match! Warm roasted slightly crunchy potatoes garnished with a secret spice and topped with baked eggs. Ohhh what a treat this is!!
One of my favorite breakfasts is the potatoes and scrambled eggs dish that my mom used to prepare for us. I posted a similar recipe to my mom’s last year. My mom would roast the potatoes sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper pop them into the oven, and then beat the eggs and pour the mixture into the pan. My mom would finish it off by adding a bit of feta cheese to each of our portions. Our breakfast table had so many dishes to choose from and they were all so yummy. Just a little note about me and eggs I love eggs except for boiled eggs, I don’t like boiled eggs.
I mentioned earlier that I used a secret spice in this recipe. It’s not really a secret I am sure others have used this same or similar spice before or maybe they haven’t I just thought it was such a unique addition. While in Greece I found this wonderful little spice shop and picked up a variety of spices. One of the spices I found and was so surprised with was this combination perfect for eggs. Curry, oregano, dried mustard, and sweet paprika spice mix, at first I wasn’t sure but the smell was so intense that I just had to try it. There is no name for this spice mix. 🙂 But it really did bring this recipe to a whole different level. If you’re not able to find this spice or a similar one in your area then use the spices you love to add when your cooking. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this first recipe and more to come after not being able to post for almost 8 months. If you do try it out I would love to hear your feedback.
Have a wonderful day/afternoon/evening
Baked eggs and roasted potatoes recipe
- 1 Cold Cast Iron Pan Middle size pan
- 8 potatoes wash off excess dirt, wipe dry, and cut potatoes into cubes.
- 8 potatoes cubed
- 1 onion medium size sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp spice mix optional
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 4 eggs medium size
- Wash off the dirt and wipe the potatoes dry with a paper towel.
- Cut into cubes
- Add the olive oil into the pan and toss in the potatoes. Give it a good stir and then add in the sliced onion.
- Sprinkle your favorite spices and stir. Add a bit more olive oil if needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and roast the potatoes for 20 minutes. Don't stir.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven after 20 minutes and carefully and make four wells. Break each egg carefully into each well.
- Roast for another 10 to 15 minutes or until eggs have started to set and the egg yolks have started to thicken but are soft enough to dip into.. Serve hot with feta cheese and bread.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂