How are things? A few day ago while reading everyones post I came across this fantastic Great Bloggers Bake-Off Challenge posted by bloggers Bereavedandbeingasingleparent and Crushed Caramel (Learner at love), If you have not yet come across these blogs, pop over and check them out, just wonderful!! Thank you so much for letting me take part..I had such a fun time!!! The photo I submitted is the featured photo on this post. I have never taken part in a baking challenge, because I consider myself to be a cook, not so much a baker. 🙂 Of course, the issue of the oven that doesn’t actually exists in my house. I know, I know I complain about this a lot but it’s the truth. I can’t afford to replace it because that would mean a huge renovation which is absolutely out of the question. Unless, hmmmm I move 🙂
Once I finished work I was eager to get started so first things first. I had to decide between two cake recipes. So, to clear my mind I took Charlie for a walk, and thought about it for a while, by the time I returned home I had made up my mind. The recipe would be Almond Buttercream Layer Cake that my mother in law gave me many years ago. 🙂
This was a great opportunity to make this Almond Buttercream Layer Cake because my birthday is coming up in a couple of days, so I said why not celebrate with a cake a bit earlier. I tweaked it a bit here and there by adding sprinkles, red food coloring to get the pink color. The cake turned out to be a delicious and a colorful cake, happy, party cake. Charlie, was also born on April 3rd, so my doggie will be turning 3. 🙂 Thinking of picking up a nice toy for him 🙂
Have a great week everyone!!
ALMOND BUTTERCREAM LAYER CAKE
- 2 cups of Roasted Almonds crushed
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Semolina
- 150 grams of Butter room temp
- 8 Eggs
- 1 Lemon peel grated
- 1 Vanilla Stick
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- Pink Food Coloring
- Ready made Icing buttercream
- SYRUP optional
- 3 cups Water
- 2 cups Sugar
- Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Whisk eggs, sugar, grated lemon peel, vanilla, crushed almonds. In a separate bowl blend Semolina and baking powder. Once combined add to egg batter.
- Place a piece of baking paper on the bottom of the pan so that the cake will not stick. Butter brush the sides of the baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cake cool and then cut into 2 pieces. I decided not to make the Syrup because I wanted this to be a Sponge Cake.
- I bought a ready mix for the icing and added butter and pink food coloring.
- Spread Icing and add Sprinkles on top…or any other topping of your choice.