Hi there!!! 🙂 So, this is not the usual Souvlaki everyone knows and loves, with the added Tzatziki and French Fries etc. This is actually my version of “Roasted Chicken Souvlaki”. I make this quite often because my husband’s job actually has him away from home most of the week, so as a International Driver it is not always easy for him to find a restaurant. What I usually do is cook for him on Sunday 4 or 5 meals and he takes them with him for the week.
This is actually one of the recipes that I make for him most of the time because this is his favorite. A very quick recipe to prepare in regards to the cooking time, 🙂 I chop chicken breasts add a few more ingredients, and marinade it all night so that the chicken can absorb all the delicious juices from the other ingredients. 🙂 Most of the time I make sandwiches for him with cold cuts but I thought he would love to have this in a Pita bread. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe! 🙂
ROASTED CHICKEN SOUVLAKI WITH PITA
- 500 grams Chicken Breasts chopped into small pieces
- 3 Bell Peppers sliced
- 2 medium size Onions diced
- 3 Fresh Tomatoes chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon Oregano
- Chop Chicken Breasts into small pieces. and place into a large bowl.
- Wash and dry Peppers before slicing.
- Slice Peppers but not to thin, chop the Onions but not to small.
- Chop or dice fresh tomatoes, I usually chopped them but not into very small pieces.
- If you have fresh Oregano that is great because the smell and taste is more intense, if not then a tablespoon of dried Oregano is more than enough.
- Vegetable/Olive Oil is a must for this recipe. 🙂
- Add all the above ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place into the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Take the bowl out of the fridge about an hour before baking. Bake at 180 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown. 🙂
- If you have Pita Bread warm it up in the oven or toaster. Once it’s ready first add a little of the sauce so that the Pita can absorb it and then add in as much Chicken Souvlaki as you wish.