Hello everyone!! I hope all is well and you are all getting ready for Christmas. 🙂 I was not able to post last week because I had to return to Greece for a few days to take care of things. (I will respond to the lovely comments that were left as soon as I can) I did make time after I was done with business to catch up with my friends and relatives. 🙂 It was so nice to see them before the holidays because we rarely get a chance to go back to Greece during the holidays.
We returned late Saturday night and now my mom is here visiting for the holidays, and as tradition goes we made the traditional Greek Christmas Cookies otherwise known as Melomakarona for this evening’s Christmas Eve dinner table. Cookies that are dripping with the delicious based honey syrup, if your up for a challenge try out these cookies and let me know what you think.
I would like to wish everyone from the bottom my heart a very Joyful, Healthy, Merry Christmas!!
MELOMAKARONA (GREEK CHRISTMAS COOKIES)
- 1 kilo All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Semolina
- 100 grams Sugar
- 1/2 litre Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 200 ml fresh Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg Optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated Clove
- 2 grated Orange Peels
- 500 grams Sugar
- 500 ml Water
- 200 grams Honey
- 250 grams Walnuts chopped
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients except for the flour. Once all is combined add in the flour a little at a time and knead all the ingredients until it has become one mass.
- Take a small piece of dough at a time and start to knead in your hands and shaping it in the form of an egg. Place each Melomakarano into a large baking pan and bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large sauce pan add in the ingredients for the syrup and boil for about 15 minutes and until thickened.
- When the cookies have baked pour the hot syrup over them and top with the chopped Walnuts.