My mom asked me yesterday what I was thinking of posting for my next recipe this week, I had decided that I was going to make Giouvarelakia – Greek Meatball Soup. We had taken out all the ingredients, set them on the counter, but before I could start cooking I had a few things to do. When I finally went to the kitchen, to my surprise my mom went ahead and did everything from combining the ingredients to cooking the soup.. So, this means I have no other pictures than the featured image to show how this is prepared. I do apologise. 🙂
This is a lovely, warm winter soup that combines beef, rice, dill and many more ingredients, that will satisfy that hungry feeling when your coming in from the cold. It has been rather cold here and what else better to eat than soups. 🙂 This one though is different because it also has that tasty addition of lemon juice which just gives each spoonful a WOW taste. (I was going to write a WOW factor but I think that would be a bit too much) hahaha
I hope you enjoy this lovely soup recipe 😉
MEATBALL SOUP WITH AN EGG-LEMON SAUCE (GIOUVARELAKIA ME AUGOLEMONO)
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Carrot chopped
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup White Grain Rice
- 1 tablespoon Dill diced
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 2 Potatoes chopped in cubes
- 1 litre of Water
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour optional
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients by hand, except for the egg and the lemon. juice.
- Take a small piece of the meat mixture and make a small meatball.
- Dip each meatball into flour and shake off the excess flour before putting into the water.
- In a large sauce pot add water, carrot, potatoes and the meatballs, cook for 1 hour on low heat.
- 6) Whisk egg white, slowly add in the lemon juice along with about 50 ml of the hot soup. Continue to whisk add in the egg yolk. Once this sauce has slightly thickened add into the meatball soup and serve hot.