A while back I received a few emails from fellow bloggers 🙂 that were interested in finding out if there was a greek cake that did not have any almonds or fruits. 🙂 So here it is the Semolina Cake otherwise known as Halvas. It is purely made from Semolina, Olive Oil, Sugar and Cinnamon…and a bit of Lemon.
A completely different taste than the usually cakes because the intensity of the Semolina just stands out when taking a bite. If you enjoy trying out new tastes try this dessert you might just love it. 🙂
HOMEMADE SEMOLINA DESSERT (GREEK HALVAS)
- 2 cups Semolina
- 2 cup Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Lemon Peel
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- To make this dessert you will need 2 sauce pots. In one add in the lemon peel and the cinnamon stick.
- In the other add the Olive Oil.
- Add 3 cups water and teaspoon of cinnamon powder, sugar and boil at low heat.
- Add gradually the Semolina into the pot where the Olive Oil is heating at low heat. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon until Semolina has turned golden brown. Very carefully start and very slowly start to pour the syrup into the Semolina. This tends to splatter when you pour the syrup into the Semolina so be careful.
- I like to use a bundt form but you can use whatever you like. In a baking pan add 1 tablespoon of Cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of Sugar. Transfer the mixture in the baking pan and let it cool.
- Turn over on a platter or a dish and top it off with more Cinnamon. 🙂