Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well..I have recovered from the flu and happy to be feeling better. Thank you all very much for your kind messages, I was so moved. 🙂
This time of year my mom comes over the holidays, and she brought over Melomakarona this is a delicious Greek Christmas Cookie treat that mom makes along with my Aunt Soula. Each year they get together and tackle the kitchen to make Melomakarona and Kourambiethes and share amongst the family . (it’s their little thing they like to do) 🙂
I wanted to share with you the picture and recipe just in case you wanted to tackle this recipe to see this delicious taste. Melomakarona is a sort of egg shaped cookie made with Olive Oil, Honey and Semolina, interesting combination of ingredients right!! 🙂
If you up to trying out the recipe I have step by step instructions but no pictures…:( Sorry, but if you do need any help let me know..I have the expert here for great advice if necessary. 🙂
GREEK CHRISTMAS COOKIES (MELOMAKARONA)
- 1 kilo All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Semolina
- 100 grams Sugar
- 1/2 liter Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 200 ml fresh Orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg Optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated Clove
- 2 grated Orange Peels
- 500 grams Sugar
- 500 ml Water
- 200 grams Honey
- 250 grams Walnuts chopped
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients except for the flour. Once all is combined add in the flour a little at a time and knead all the ingredients until it has become one mass.
- Take a small piece of dough at a time and start to knead in your hands and shaping it in the form of an egg. Place each one Melomakarano into a large baking pan and bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a large sauce pan add in the ingredients for the syrup and boil for about 15 minutes and until thickened.
- When the cookies have baked pour the hot syrup over them and top with the chopped Walnuts.