This Jam Tart recipe was my mom’s idea, actually she has been asking me for days to make it and since she is only here for a few more days, I said sure but we needed to find Apricot Jam. 🙂 As usual my mom wanted to do everything by herself so all I did was take the pictures and look after the tart while it was baking in the oven. It was a cloudy, very chilly, windy day so natural light was definitely not in the cards for taking pictures. 🙂
Most Greek recipes almost always have many different versions…but this recipe that my mom made is truly much simpler to make. I myself have made this tart with more added ingredients like almonds, vanilla extract but it just wasn’t the same as the simple Jam Tart I already knew. 🙂 The homemade crust has a lovely buttery and crispy taste to it which I am sure if you love eating tarts you will love this. 🙂
GREEK APRICOT JAM TART (PASTA FLORA)
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 250 grams Apricot Jam
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 250 grams Butter at room temperature
- 1 Egg and 1 extra Egg White
- 1 shot Cognac
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Lemon zest
- In a large bow add flour and sugar combine dry ingredients.
- Add in the baking powder, egg , butter and lemon zest.
- Continue by adding the shot of Cognac.
- Mix all the ingredients by hand until it becomes a fluffy dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Once the dough has cooled, separate about 100 grams of the dough to make the dough stripes that will be layered. Roll out the rest of the dough and place it into the tart pan so this becomes a tart shell.
- We usually make our own Jam but since Apricots are not in season, we found ready made apricot jam in the super market today. You can use any fruit jam you enjoy eating. Spread jam nicely in shell.
- Roll out the remaining dough into flat stripes, or you can make ropes by rolling the small pieces of dough with your hands. (These should be approximately about 1/2 finger’s widtStart layering strips on top of the jam. With the extra egg white brush lightly over stripes to get that golden brown color. 🙂
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees and bake for 1 hour.