These past few days I have been following a free on-line Food Blogger Bootcamp from Food Blogger Pro, if you have a moment check out there site fellow food bloggers..:) I followed this because I consider myself to still be knew to all of this, and I knew that I would learn some new tips and tricks that as a food blogger would be helpful to me. I truly enjoyed the Bootcamp so thank you so much Food Blogger Pro!!! 😉 I have not been able to read everyones posts so I am a bit behind, I am hoping to catch up on my reading soon. 🙂
I had a small batch of Giant White Beans left in my pantry that we bought in a small town outside of Athens while we were visiting friends on vacation last year. They come from a region in Northern Greece called Prespa (Prespes). A beautiful part of Greece that has a gorgeous lake along with some of the most rarest fish and birds that you will love if your a Nature Lover!! 🙂 It is absolutely worth the trip!! 🙂 This area grows the best beans and most of which are organic. There is a very small fruit and vegetable market in the town that I mentioned that sells these beans, so when its time to head back to NL we stop by for some last minute food (beans) shopping.
This is such a healthy, delicious, vegetarian meal full of Fibers and Protein! If you find some in your area try out this recipe, I am sure you will love it!!
OVEN BAKED GIANT WHITE BEANS (GIGANTES STO FOURNO)
- 300 grams Giant White Beans soaked in water overnight
- 1 Leek diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Bell Peppers chopped
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 800 grams Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste optional
- 4 fresh Tomatoes grated
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Sweet Paprika optional
- Soak bean in water overnight. The following morning drain and add into a large pot of water. I boil the beans and drain the water they have been boiled in 2 times before cooking them.
- Add 1/2 of the Olive Oil into a pot and toss in the carrot, leek and sauté. Continue by adding the tomato paste and stir.
- Add the Chicken broth, if you don’t have any you can use the same amount of water.
- Add in grated tomatoes and cook for about 15 minutes before adding in the beans.
- Add in beans, sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, bay leaves and cook for 1/2 in pot. Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees and in a large baking pan add in the beans along with the Olive Oil that was left over. Bake in oven for 1 1/2 hrs. or until beans have soften, and sauce has thicken.
- Serve either as a main dish or a side dish…it really is up to you. 🙂