Hi there, I enjoy making Pilaf dishes as much as I love making Pasta dishes. This specific Pilaf recipe has mushrooms which I just adore, (but my poor hubby doesn’t really enjoy eating mushrooms) and of course chickpeas. So, for him I make it plain, and from there he loves adding yogurt. Me not so much 🙁
Anyway, I found this recipe a few years ago, and to be honest I am not sure of it’s origin, but one thing I am sure of it’s not Greek. I look at some of my fellow bloggers Rice recipes ufff, I don’t know which one I want to jump in and eat first!!! they look so amazing with so many different variations. Just wonderful!!! 🙂
Back to this recipe, it basically calls for Basmati rice, but I use any rice I have in the food pantry, and today the only kind I had was normal short grain rice, this Pilaf is quick to make, and so good to eat. 🙂
MUSHROOM AND CHICKPEA PILAF (PILAFI ME MANITARIA KAI REVITHIA)
- 500 grams Rice
- 1 box Mushrooms
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 250 grams boiled Chickpeas
- 1 litre Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dice mushrooms into slices.
- In a small sauce pan boil Chickpeas.
- I personally prefer to make my own Chicken broth instead of ready made. All that is needed is to boil any chicken parts you have in your refrigerator. Add Olive Oil
- In a large sauce pan add in the butter to melt. Once the butter has melted add in the onion and the rice. Stir for a few minutes and then add in the chicken broth.
- Add in Chickpeas, Mushrooms and stir. Let simmer for about 20 minutes and until the chicken broth has been completely absorbed. Stir every so often so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the sauce pan.