Have you ever tried a Lentil, with vegetables salad? This is a fabulous recipe for a main dish this Lentil & Zucchini Vegetable Salad. It is loaded with yellow, orange, and red bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, zucchini, seasoned with salt and pepper, and dill. (Oops almost forgot to mention the Avocado). All these ingredients together combined makes this salad a bowl full of nutrients that are perfect for lunch or dinner for the whole family. I had a little free time the other day and watched one of my favorite Greek/American Chef Yiannis Loucacos as he was preparing a similar salad (I found out a few months ago that he was born and raised in the US). and was inspired to make this salad. I tweaked the recipe to my taste, basil out, dill in.
All the ingredients for this salad are in season at the moment so it’s a budget-friendly salad. On the other hand, if you are growing your own vegetables well then add your favorite veggies into this salad. But I would definitely not omit the sundried tomatoes and the dill. All those textures and flavors combined make this salad so yummy. If you’re hosting a summer party or invited to a summer bash then this Lentil & Zucchini Vegetable salad is also a great addition to any table. The only thing you need to prepare in advance is to boil the legume (lentil). Of course, there is the other option store-bought which is quick and easier canned or jarred both do the job. I’ve added one whole cubed Avocado just because I think it pairs beautifully with the other textures in this salad.
Once you have you’re salad bowl ready all you need to think about is what kind of dressing would you use. I added a bit of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. The textures and flavors burst even more so by adding just a few drops of lemon.
The temps have hit a high in Europe these past weeks or shall I say this all started in mid-May. Back-to-back heat waves which for me usually means cooking hot meals is out of the question. Salads, salads, and more salads are the main course in my house.
Have a great morning/afternoon/evening everyone!!
Lentil & Zucchini Vegetable Salad
- 1 ½ cups lentil boiled
- 1 zucchini large
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1½ avocado cut into cubes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil + extra for dressing
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes diced
- ½ lemon
- Add lentils into boiling water and cook for 15 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Stir in diced, chopped vegetables into a large saucepan with ¼ cup (4 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil. Stir until all the veggies are tender. Set aside to cool.
- Add in the veggies, lentils, avocado, herbs, and seasoning give it a good stir. Think about what kind of dressing you would like to garnish this delicious salad with I added olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice
- Serve cold topped with your favorite dressing.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂