Hey there everyone,
Happy Kathari Deutera…2023
Hey there foodie friends,
Kathara Deutera is the first day of Lent in the Greek Religion. So, I am posting one of our traditional Greek Flatbread (Lagana) recipes. This flatbread is prepared on Kathara Deutera Clean Monday or otherwise known as Ash Monday. Kathara Deutera is the first day of Lent in the Greek Religion and traditionally eating everything except meat.
I am sure that most of you have these ingredients at home so let’s go and give it a try. With flour, yeast, sesame seed, and salt this flatbread is so easy and so tasty. This year Kathara Deutera falls on February 27th. In the Greek Religion Kathara Deutera is the first day of Lent so we celebrate by eating delicious greek treats, finger food, and dips.
Lagana is an oval-shaped thin bread and is topped with sesame seeds. But there are so many variations now, for example, olives, herbs, and so many other ingredients even feta cheese. This sesame-seed flatbread is also an excellent choice of bread for sandwiches.
Wishing my Greek family and Friends Kali Sarakosti!!
Lagana Greek Flatbread Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose-flour
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- sesame seeds
- Place flour into a large bowl.
- Add dry yeast and salt
- Slowly add in lukewarm water and use your hands to knead until it turns into dough. Cover and set aside to rise for about two hours.
- Place parch paper into a baking pan. Use your hands to roll out the dough, and use your fingers to make indents. Top with sesame seeds and oregano.
- Bake at 180 or 375 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.