Are you searching for a new buttery cookie to add to your Holiday table this year? Why not try these easy Greek Almond Christmas Cookies? Is there anything better than the aroma of freshly baked cookies in the house? It gives you a sense of warmth and coziness don’t you think so?
I changed the quantity of the ingredients in this year’s Greek Almond Christmas Cookie recipe from last year’s recipe. I added Rosewater this time well I actually sprayed Rosewater onto the cookies which actually is something that my mother-in-law used to do when she baked her cookies. For this Greek Almond Christmas Cookie recipe, you can either use whole almonds or chopped ones. I personally love to change each year so this year the winner was whole almonds. This is the traditional cookie that you will find in most Greek homes this time of year. It’s a simple butter cookie with a dash of Greece. 🙂 (this is the little thing that I like to say)
I have also baked other Christmas Butter cookies that are not Greek because it was time for the American in me to bake. The colors I chose this year are pink and purple sprinkles and stars. I will post this recipe next week because you still have plenty of time to bake. The cookies are too cute to eat but I had to try and see if they tasted as good as they looked. I added two new Christmas cookie cutters to my collection a Christmas Tree and a Reindeer cutter. The Christmas Tree cutter was perfect I had no problem with the dough but unfortunately, the Reindeer cutter did not work out. I tried so many times but maybe this specific one was not cut correctly. No Reindeer cookie this year.
Have a lovely morning/afternoon/evening everyone!
Greek Almond Christmas Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter + ½ tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tbsp brandy or rum
- 3 cups powdered sugar + ½ cup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup almonds whole or chopped
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp rose water (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200C - 390F. Start with the almonds add ⅓ tablespoon of butter into a small saucepan and melt on low heat, Stir almonds until the cookies turn golden brown and set aside to cool.
- Add butter into a mixing bowl and beat on high for a few seconds until fluffy. Add in egg yolk, cognac or rum, and vanilla extract beat on high.
- Add in the flour, baking powder mixture, and the extra ½ cup of powdered sugar, the cooled almonds, and beat on high speed.
- Shape into half moons or round cookies using your hands and place on parchment paper. Pop into the oven and bake until golden brown. Spray rosewater while the cookies are still hot and then sprinkle powdered sugar.
- Set aside to cool.
KALI MAS OREXI!! 🙂