A different version of the Classic Pastichio recipe, no ground beef is added. I use bits of Ham, and sometimes I might add in bits of Bacon, like I did this time and of course vegetables, carrots, and peas. 🙂 It’s a nice dish that can be made in advance, and stored in the freezer for later use.
PASTICHIO AU GRATIN
- 1 package of Turbular Pasta medium size
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups of Ham chopped
- 1 cup of Bacon optional
- 1 1/2 cup Baby Carrots
- 1 1/2 cup Peas
- 1/2 cup of boiled Pasta water
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- 4 cups Milk
- 5 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons of Cooking Butter
- 1 Egg
- Nutmeg optional
- Boil Pasta for about 20 minutes…drain, but keep about 1/2 cup of the water to add into the Pasta mix, then set aside to cool for about 15 minutes. In the meantime start the Bechamel sauce by first adding in the Butter and then the Flour. While stirring add in the Milk Salt, Pepper, Egg, Nutmeg and stir continuously.
- By now the Pasta has cooled off, add in the ingredients along with a 1/2 cup of Pasta water that was set aside, and 1/2 of the Bechamel sauce and mix. Top Pasta with some Cinnamon, butter, and the rest of the Bechamel Sauce,
- Pre-heat oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour. Let cool before cutting.
Originally posted 2017-06-09 14:02:49.