This is a classic, popular, melt in your mouth, comfort food, Greek Stew Recipe..:) with beef and onions sautéd in fresh tomatoes and a variety of different herbs and with a dash of tomato paste. As the winter weather is becoming stronger each day, I thought that this stew would be a great idea for today’s dinner. Simple basically very similar to a one pot cooking recipe, just throw in all the ingredients in a large pot and your done. 🙂
GREEK BEEF STEW (STYFADO)
- 1 kilo beef pieces
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 20 Whole Baby Onions
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 4 or 5 whole allspice
- 1 cup Vegetable stock optional
- Rosemary optional
- 1 teaspoon Oregano optional
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4 grated fresh Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry Red Wine optional
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large sauce pan add the beef into water and boil for about 20 minutes.
- In a large separate bowl add the peeled baby onions and set aside for 1/2 hour. Once the onions are ready drain and add into the beef with just enough water to cover both ingredients.
- Once the meat is ready add in add the ingredients.
- If you can find this allspice it works much better for this recipe than the powder version. I add sugar into this recipe because tomatoes are out of season this time of year and because some tend to be a bit sour I sweeten up the tomato with the sugar.
- Simmer for 1 hour on medium heat and cook until beef and onions are tender and soft. I thought I should mention that this recipe can be made in the slow cooker…just through everything in and let it cook for about 4 to 5 hours. 🙂