This was one of the first recipes I posted when I first started out in 2017. My dear blogger friend Luda from Plants & Beyond asked me to re-post this recipe, and I am delighted to do so. If you love flowers and gardening and you have not yet come across her blog, please check it out, you will love it!!
To Luda 🙂 Enjoy the recipe 🙂
Hi Everyone!! I wanted to share with you this Spinach Pie recipe that my mom gave me many moons ago. I remember it was hard to find Greek products in our area, so once a month we had a day trip to Astoria. Wow!!! that was a long time ago, anyway we would go to this little Greek Deli Store to buy what she needed for the month. She always had a list ready, (and she still does today) with the usual products. Feta, Coffee, Olives, Oil, classic right! I know!! :0
Till this day, whenever I go back to Greece to visit my mom, we go to Athens City Center into the old market area…have a cup of coffee, catch up on things, and then go shopping. In Athens the old Deli’s stores still exist with the cheeses, and spices in huge barrels, sausages, you can even find a huge variety of peanuts, I can go on and on but there are just too many products to write down.
So, now for the recipe….:) Hope you enjoy making it!!!
SPANAKOPITA WITH FETA (GREEK SPINACH PIE WITH FETA CHEESE)
- 1 kilo Spinach rinsed
- 1/2 cup Dill
- 1/2 cup Parsley
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Medium size Onions diced
- 1 Large Leek chopped I prefer using Leek
- 1 1/2 cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup Short White Grain Rice
- 1 tablespoon of Sugar
- 1 package of Phyllo Sheets or 2 Phyllo Dough
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon optional
- Take a large sauce pan and saute with olive oil the onions, and or leek, stir for a few minutes and add into the onions the spinach, dill, parsley, rice and stir. Toss in salt, pepper, sugar and cinnamon and let this boil for about 1/2 hour on low heat. Once the mixture is done, take a large bowl pour in the spinach mixture and let this cool off for a while. Add in to cooled of spinach mixture the milk, the eggs, olive oil and feta cheese. Mix and set aside.
- Start to add into a greased baking pan, one oiled brushed sheet at a time. Once half have been placed in the pan, add in the spinach mixture, then fold overhanging phyllo sheets inwards. Continue the process, when you have reached the last sheet brush oil and seal phyllo into pan.
- Baked at 180 degrees and until golden brown. Spanakopita can be eaten either hot or cold.
- Kali Orexi!!! 🙂