Hello everyone!!! Ravani/Revani, depending on which part of Greece you come from…..I personally think is a version of the Sponge Cake with a unique twist of the added syrup. I have always made this cake and have tweaked it in my own little way, by adding Walnuts in the mixture and not only on top. It gives the Lemon Zest (which to be honest I prefer using than the Orange Zest) taste of the cake a nice twist. 🙂
Ok, well this was the only cake that I personally never looked at with a strange face…like I did when they offered me the Fruit Spoon Dessert. 🙂
RAVANI (SEMOLINA CAKE WITH CINNAMON SYRUP)
- 1 cup Butter 250 grams
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 5 Medium size Eggs
- 1 Lemon or Orange Zest
- 2 cups Semolina Simigdali
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons of Baking Power
- 3 cups of Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 cups of Water
- In a large bowl beat sugar and butter and then add in the eggs along with the Lemon/Orange Zest. In a different bowl mix together the flour and baking powder and add into the batter.
- I usually break the walnuts into smaller pieces…but if you prefer you can also leave them whole.
- Pour batter into a buttered baking pan and place in the oven for about 50 minutes at 180 degrees. In the meantime, start the syrup by taking a large sauce pan and add in the water, sugar and cinnamon stick. Let this boil for about 15 minutes…..
- Once the Ravani is baked, pour the hot syrup over it and let it cool. A lovely Summer Cake that you can top off with Ice Cream and or Whipped Cream. 🙂