Hi everyone! I went shopping yesterday morning at our small and quaint little flea and food market, which takes place once a week in our little town. A busy little historic town, 400 years old, lovely old houses, and buildings, and quaint little shops, cafes, ice cream parlors, and restaurants. It was crowded more than usual, locals shopping, chatting away and eating from ready made fried fish to Caramel Wafers.
The Dutch make this great Caramel wafer, so yummy to eat. 🙂 We have this one lady with her stand that is at the market each week. Locals are always there before she arrives and waits for her to open her stand and start making her freshly baked Caramel Wafers. She is a lovely person, always chatting, making little jokes, and laughing with her customers while they wait for their order. I always look forward to seeing her, and enjoy speaking with her about anything and everything.
Anyway, after saying goodbye, I continued to stroll through the market, and I came across this other lady who had 3 huge piles of potatoes to sell. (The Dutch almost always have potatoes on their table for dinner boiled, fried, baked), and I remembered I have this great potato recipe 🙂 so, I bought a kilo of potatoes said my goodbyes and off I went. 🙂
POTATO PUREE WITH BACON AND MOZZARELLA
- 1 kilo Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Butter
- 1 / 2 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs Whisked
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 250 grams Bacon small pieces
- 200 grams shredded Mozzarella
- Wash and peel potatoes, add them into a pot of salted boiling water on low heat until softened and set them aside to cool. Mash the potatoes with a fork or a Potato Masher, add in the butter, and slowly pour in the milk. Once you have done that add the eggs, Parmesan Cheese, Salt and Pepper.
- Tip: If the mixture is not smooth enough, then add in a little more milk.
- Take a buttered baking pan and sprinkle your breadcrumbs, and graded cheese to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay half of the mixture on top of the breadcrumbs and then add in the pieces of bacon, and shredded Mozzarella. Finish off by adding in the rest of your potato mixture and graded cheese.
- Tip: I also like adding broccoli into this dish, it gives it a nice twist. 🙂 18 X 24 cm. baking pan is ideal for this dish.
- Bake at 175 degrees for about 40 minutes and until lightly brown. Serve this warm 🙂