I’m not really a syrup kind of pastry fan, I am more of a white chocolate with strawberry fan. 🙂 But because I do love to cook and bake I decided to make this Greek Syrup Pastry. Greeks tend to eat syrup based pastries, one of the favorites is Baklava. The Almonds and Walnuts added to this pastry, along with the lemon syrup just gives it a really delicious taste.
I do enjoy eating a piece of Baklava once in a while….:)
BAKLAVA WITH LEMON SYRUP
- 1 cup Almonds crushed
- 1 cup Walnuts crushed
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon powder
- 250 gram of Butter
- 700 grams Baklava dough Sheets
- 2/5 cups Sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 Lemon Peel
- Start off by making the syrup, so that this has cooled off by the time the pastry is done. In a sauce pan add the Sugar, Water, Lemon Peel let this boil at medium heat. You will know when the syrup is ready by doing this test, take a knife and just pour two drops of the syrup to the tip of the knife, tip it over and if the syrup rolls off slowly then its ready. 🙂
- While the syrup is boiling, melt the butter and set aside. Separate the dough sheets into two halves, then take a baking pan and brush the pan with the butter and start adding in a dough sheet, one at a time…and brush each sheet with butter. Add and brush very simple to do. When you have finished the first half of the dough sheets, add in the mixture. Take all the excess dough sheets and cover the mixture, butter the sheets and continue adding the rest of the dough sheets and butter.
- If you have left over butter spread it over the top of the Baklava and brush thoroughly. With a sharp knife start cutting into the pie and cut into small pieces diagonally, but keep in mind not to cut all the way down, cut just so that you have made small pieces.
- Bake until golden brown at 180 degrees. Once your Baklava has been baked, pour on the cold syrup and let it sit until the syrup has been absorbed. 🙂